Discuss your minor car accident with the Gwinnett Accident Lawyer today

Should I Get a Lawyer for a Minor Car Accident?

We know the frustration that comes from a parking lot fender-bender, as well as the heart-pounding, spine-rattling shock of getting t-boned in the intersection. While this likely wasn’t an internet search you wanted to do today, rest assured we have all the information to determine if you need to get a lawyer for your minor car accident. Keep reading to see if you’ll be needing more than a new bumper. 

Top 3 Reasons You Need a Lawyer for Your Minor Car Accident

No matter how minor your car accident may seem, there are several instances where you will want to ensure that you have the best team in Gwinnett County, Georgia representing you and your interests. If your minor car accident ticks any of these three boxes, you need a lawyer.

If you were injured. 

It’s not uncommon for people in minor car accidents to judge the severity of the accident based only on the damage done to the car itself, “it’s only a dent!”. The truth is that even with very little property damage, people can—and do—still get hurt. This is especially true for folks with pre-existing conditions as well as the elderly. 

A good rule of thumb is: “if it’s enough to bend metal, it’s enough to cause injury.”

If the other driver was intoxicated. 

If you were injured in a minor car accident involving an intoxicated driver, then you will absolutely want to get a lawyer. Because drunk driving is such a dangerous crime, it is taken extremely seriously by the courts in order to protect our community. 

If your case is won and the other driver was drunk, a jury can award authorized punitive damages. Essentially, on top of the actual damages you receive, the guilty party pays extra (punitive damages), due to the harmful nature of their crime.

If the other driver did a hit-and-run.

Just like minor accidents involving an intoxicated driver, the courts and state see hit-and-run accidents as bad behavior and can charge the guilty party punitive damages to discourage and punish such dangerous recklessness. 

However, due to the very nature of a hit-and-run accident, these cases can be complicated as they may require additional evidence such as a police report or proof of vehicle damage. 

In some cases, it may even require use of your insurance. Fortunately, many drivers have Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) and don’t even realize it, which we’ve got the full scoop on here

If you’re covered: remember that you need to alert all carriers after an accident as soon as possible because failing to do so can cause you to lose the coverage even if you need it later. 

If you’re not covered: sometimes, you can use a resident relative’s uninsured motorist policy for your accident—even if you are not listed on their policy. This can change on a case to case basis, so only an experienced lawyer can advise you on all available insurance for your accident.

If your minor accident does align with one of these three categories, you want a lawyer that knows Gwinnett County roads and courts inside and out, who fits with your personality, and takes the time to listen to your concerns. We also believe in being honest about whether the expense of hiring a lawyer is worth it in your case

We’d like to give you a free case evaluation, either by phone at: or talk with our team 24/7 using live chat here on our site. And if you’re not in a hurry, you can use the contact form in the sidebar of this page and we’ll reach out to schedule the best time with you.

Posted in Auto Injury, Car Accident, Drunk Driving, Gwinnett, Insurance, Personal Injury and tagged , , , , .